Friday, December 11, 2009

Our Miracle Baby: Makinlee


It all started on Thanksgiving day. We were down in good ol' Nephi for Thanksgiving.


Tyler and Kasen eating at the grand ole' feast.
On Thanksgiving afternoon and evening I had not felt the baby move but I just thought to myself I had been up busy helping prepare Thanksgiving dinner to feel the baby move. Finally around 10:00p.m. I decided I better go take a sugar drink and lay down on my side to see if I could feel some fetal movements. After sometime with no movements Tyler convinced me to go out to the Nephi hospital to have a stress test done so we could have peace of mind. We checked in and they took me into a room and while the nurses were trying to hook up the stress test monitor it felt like I had just peed my pants. My water broke right there in the hospital at 37 weeks!! The nurses told me I was having a baby and I could deliver here or be transported and deliver up in Salt Lake City. Tyler and I decided to just stay in Nephi which was a good choice. The doctor that was on call came in and started asking me a few questions and then they did a ultra sound on me to monitor the fetal movements in a 30 minute period. During that time there was no movement. My contractions were getting bad by this time so I got my epidural. After being poked 4 or 5 times my epidural finally worked. They let my epidual set in a bit and they checked me and I was dialated to a 5. The doctor finally said he felt the best thing to do was to do a c-section. I asked him if he could just give me pitocine to move along my progression but he felt the baby was under alot of stress already and thought more stress wouln't be good. While everyone was getting up to go shopping on Black Friday I was having a lovely c-section, which was the worst thing ever!! When Makinlee was born she wasn't with us. Her apgar score was a 0. They had to preform CPR on her to bring her back and then also she had swallowed her merconium(babies first poop). It took the doctors and nurses about 10 minutes to get her apgar score up to a 5. After that Makinlee was doing great!!


After the doctors got her apgar score to a 5.
First time I got to see Makinlee.

Tyler is so handsome in scrubs!!

When I was in recovery room the doctor came in and told me we have a miracle baby and it was a good thing we came into the hospital when we did or things may have not been a good out come. I am so grateful that Tyler was spiritually intunned that night!!


First time I was able to hold Makinlee in the recovery room.

Things were going good until Saturday night at about 9:00pm the doctor came in and said that Makinlees heart beat was fluxuating and he didn't like that. He felt that it would be wise to transport her up to Utah Vally NICU.















Makinlee getting ready to head up to the NICU at Utah Valley.

So I had to stay back and Tyler went up with Makinlee. Also on Staurday evening the nurses came in and told me it was time for me to get up and walking. Once I got up and standing there was a huge gush of blood. The nurses scrambled to clean up and as soon as they cleaned up there was another huge gush of blood. I ended up not going for a walk after all that. If you think things couldn't get worse, due to me loosing so much blood I ended up having a blood tranfusion.

While Makinlee was up at the NICU they did many tests to find out why her heart beat was fluxuating. They monitored her brain to see if she was having seizures, they did an EKG on her heart, they treated her with antibiotics thinking she might have an infection somewhere. After all of those tests and everything coming back normal and 5days of being in the NICU Makinlee got to come home!! The doctors in the NICU don't know why her heart beat was fluxuating but they concluded this baby is normal. They say that everyones heart beat is different and if Makinlee would have been a full term baby and delivery went smoothly her heart beat wouln't have been alarming but due to all that she went through they took precaution.














Makinlee at the NICU wearing clothes before she became jaundice.




Makinlee under the billi lights because she was jaundice at the NICU.




The night before Makinlee got to come home. Notice she isn't hooked up to anything.

Makinlee hooked to many different machines while they were doing all of their tests at the NICU.

We are home now and the fun has begun!! Makinlee is a great baby. Tyler and I are have been so blessed this holiday season!!




Kasen holding his new baby sister...MAK

Our first family picture as 4!!

20 comments:

Heather said...

I am so happy to hear you and Makinlee are doing so well now. I got your text, but couldn't open it. Then Jessica told me you had an emergency c-section. I had no idea it was all so traumatic though. I am so glad everything turned out so well. It's truly a miracle. Congratulations on a beautiful little girl.

Gulbransen Family said...

I am so glad that everything turned out alright.

Jamey said...

I got goose bumps when I read this! I am so glad that everything ended up going well for you guys. How scary - what a real miracle she is! Congrats. It sounds like both you and Tyler were in tune with the spirit - Have a Merry Christmas!

jessica&john.com said...

Marci, she is such a doll! And what a miracle. It was so good to visit with you tonight and see her in person. She makes James look like a giant.
Let me know if there is anything you need, or if you need someone to commiserate with about c-section pain.

Christiansen's said...

Oh my heavens Marci so much drama. I am so glad that everything turned out well. Seriously just one of those things happening is bad enough but 5 or 6 bad things, holy smolies. I hope you are feeling good and adjusting well. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

What a cute name and baby girl! I am sorry you had to go through all that. I am so glad that she is home and everyone is doing better!

Me in a nut shell said...

Oh My GOSH!!! What in the world, I am so glad you went to the hospital! What a crazy thing to happen and like you said, how blessed you guys are that you were inspired to go the hospital! I have been meaning to call you and get that whole scoop.

I hope she keeps doing better and that everything is good! You know if you need anything....

And I hope you are recovering from the c-section! Yikes lady, I can't imagine!

Cami said...

That is crazy! Congratulations - I am so happy everything turned out. She is beautiful and I can't wait to come and see her!

Krazy Kearls said...

you always did like drama in your life! just kidding. what a blessing your little mak is and what a blessing your family is in our lives love you

Brittany said...

WOW! THAT SEEMS LIKE QUITE THE EXPERIENCE. THAT IS SUCH A GOOD THING YOU WENT TP THE HOSPITAL! SUCKS YOU HAD TO HAVE A C/S. HOPEFULLY YOU ARE FEELING BETTER NOW! YOUR BABY IS SO DANG CUTE, THAT IS EXCITING!

Our story said...

hearing the story again with all the pictures just makes me get goose bumps.I am so glad everything ended up good.I can't wait to see her in person.let me know when you are up for visitors.She is beautiful and so are you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have a Merry Christmas!

Lance and Em said...

We are so glad everything turned out ok! What a crazy delivery! She is a cutie pie and certainly worth all the worry!

Chantel Neilson said...

Wow! Nothing could have prepared you for that! I am so glad there was a happy ending to such a tramatic event! I hope you are all still doing well! Merry Christmas!

Meggan Hansen said...

Wow. She is a miracle baby. I'm glad everything turned out okay. Thanks for sharing your story.

The Balls said...

CONGRATS! Jill told me you crazy story. I am so glad all is well. She is a beautiful baby!

Lisa said...

Wow Marci! That is quite a story! I am so glad you and little Makinlee are doing better. Congratulations!

Ali said...

WOW!!! You are AMAZING!! I'm overwhelmed just reading it!! I'm so happy that Makinlee is doing well!!! Kasen is going to make a great big brother!!! I hope everything has calmed down a little for you!! Congrats!!

The Green's said...

Marce she is beautiful! I am SO glad all went well and she was a miracle. I hope things are good at home. Kasen seems to be a great big brother.

Emily Call said...

Wow, that's a lot to go through. Glad to hear everything is ok. Congrats on your beautiful baby girl.